Saturday, May 23, 2009

Dream Journal? Really?

Yep, really. I don't usually go in for this hippie-dippie kind of stuff, but I've decided I should start cataloging my dreams for your reading pleasure, because honestly, you can't make this shit up.

Last night I dreamed I was hanging out in my ancestral home on Gilley Road in North York (I grew up in that apartment and then moved back for the first two years of my university career. The house has since been sold) with my best friend/current roommate. I was on the phone to my sound engineer, discussing drinking plans, when who should appear but Greg's horrible former girlfriend (the one who was the catalyst for me moving back to Bradford and Greg spiraling into debt and depression for the better part of a year).

I had no idea why she was in my home, but instead of confronting her on this issue I decided instead to discuss her various shortcomings with DeGroot on the phone directly in front of her. She casually mentioned that I might hang up the phone or at least go into another room rather than trash-talking her more-or-less to her face and making myself "look like an asshole". I refused and instead started relaying her side of the conversation to DeGroot, at which point she chased me into the adjoining bedroom (that used to be my parents' bedroom) and tackled me to the floor. She began repeatedly punching me in the face and she was wearing a very sharp ring, so I told DeGroot I'd have to call him back.

I tried reasoning with her, but she wouldn't stop hitting me long enough to get a word in edgewise, so I started screaming for Greg to do something, because I was getting to the point where I was going to hit her back (she really was beating the everloving shit out of me) but I was concerned that she'd call the police and have me charged with assault if I did. Greg stood behind her and waved his arms ineffectually, not knowing what to do either.

Then I became aware of the fact that I was thirsty -- not just thirsty, but lost-in-the-desert parched. I woke up and drank a pitcher full of water.

Sigmund Freud would have a field day with me.

2 comments:

Adelaide said...

I have a real thing for dreams (even though I don't have the motivation to write mine all down). My imaginary profession would be a dream geographer: mapping out recurring geographical disparities between reality and a person’s dream world, and commenting on possible significance.

Honestly though, I do think dreams suggest something about our feelings or personalities. I don't know what that particular dream might suggest though.

Anonymous said...

I've been recording dreams lately, too. A whole science fiction novel idea...something about chimps being more developed than us. Something trite like that.

I like Jung better than Sigmund. Though, the latter is rather important. Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't attempt to guess what it means, though.